Missing CHOLMOD in 2.9.9

From: M. White
Subject: Missing CHOLMOD in 2.9.9
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:20:38 -0500

Hi, I am not exactly if this is the correct place to ask this question or not - my apologies if misplaced.

I just installed octave 2.9.9 using darwinports and tried to run a small matrix test case for matlab (mytrit.m from Johan Helsing of Lund University). When I try to run it, it gets to the line:

         R=chol(-A);

and I get the error message:

    error: Missing CHOLMOD. Sparse cholesky factorization disabled

[If I comment out that section, everything else seems to run fine.]

Now as near as I can tell cholmod should be part of SuiteSparse (which was also installed [v. 2.4.0_0] as part of this process). The headers for cholmod are found in "/opt/local/include/ufsparse". There is also a chol.oct found in "/opt/local/libexec/octave/2.9.9/ oct/powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0/chol.oct".

Unfortunately, the I did not try to build it verbose - and cannot find any log or error files that might point out what actually happened. Does anyone have any ideas on what I possibly did wrong and how I might fix it?

I have a copy of 2.1.73 which was installed from binaries provided by hpc.sourcefourge.net last year in /usr/local/bin - but /opt/local/bin comes first in my path. I had originally tried to install the 2.9.9 binaries from there, but it complained because I did not have UMFPACK (probably because I did not have ufsparse at that time).

Thank you for your time.

 - M.

P.S. running Mac OS-X 10.4.8 on a G4.