Re: Make Octave behave more like Matlab

From: Paul Roberts
Subject: Re: Make Octave behave more like Matlab
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:57:17 -0800

Do you know what version of Matlab is being used? I'm using 7.3 and it
does not require commas after case statements (nor can I recall any
version that did since I started using it):

version

ans =

7.3.0.298 (R2006b)

color = 'green';
switch color
case 'red'
disp('It is not red.');
otherwise
disp('It is not red.');
end
It is not red.

As for the quotes issue, why not use single quotes in octave?

Paul

On 2/16/07, Matthias Brennwald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 16.02.2007, at 21:22, John W. Eaton wrote:

> | 1. Strings can be defined with single or double quotes in Octave,
> | while Matlab only accepts single quotes. For instance, this will
> work
> | in Octave, but not in Matlab:
> |
> | myString = "Hello";
>
> Have you reported this bug to the MathWorks?

Uhm, no, mainly this is no bug. My above comment is just plain wrong.

But: the below example with the switch / case statements won't work
in Matlab if the single quotes are replaced by double quotes (Octave
does not care). I hope this time I'm right -- I can't test because I
don't have Matlab at the moment. I'm just forwarding the comments I
received from a Matlab user).

> | 2. switch / case statements: Matlab requires a comma after the case
> | statements, Octave doesn't. For instance, the following will work in
> | Octave, but not in Matlab (which requires commas after 'red' and
> | otherwse):
> |
> | color = 'green';
> | switch color
> |     case 'red'