Re: Newbie question

From: Muthiah Annamalai
Subject: Re: Newbie question
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:29:45 -0600

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 11:05 -0500, Steven Oppenheimer wrote:
> I downloaded the whole Cygwin/Octave package a
> few days ago and loaded it on a Windows
> machine.  Upon starting it, I found myself
> working with a strictly command line
> environment.  I was expecting/hoping to see a
> more conventional GUI framework, with menus with
> options for loading files, saving files, editing
> commands, and other standard stuff.
>   Worse, when
> I tried to copy and paste text from a Windows
> text file into the command line environment,
> nothing pasted.
Octave is a numerical Engine, and an implementation of the
Matlab language. If you dont find the bell's and whistles and
if you really feel strongly about it, you could sponsor development
of specific features in Octave.

Octave is a free-software project run by volunteers.
If you need specific features, you need to support their
development.

Generally, work arounds exist, and other 3rd party solutions, but this
group appreciates patience and understanding on your side, given the
limitations the projects is up against.

Very few people directly contribute code, and there exist
3rd-party tools and GUI's. Octave-Workshop, and install it, if all you
want is a GUI. It has quite a few bugs, and I believe its not the
official GUI on Windows.
http://www.math.mcgill.ca/loisel/octave-workshop/

~ Muthiah