Re: List of constants.

From: Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E]
Subject: Re: List of constants.
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 10:58:59 -0500

you could make a constant package.

Muthiah Annamalai wrote:
Hello there,

I was looking for some physical constant (Boltzmann Constant K),
 lately, and thought if we had some inbuilt thing in Octave
(Octave-Forge) like the table from NIST, at
http://www.physics.nist.gov/cuu/Constants/Table/allascii.txt
it could be quite useful.

I wonder if anyone has thought about it, and has better ideas
to share.
ATM I have some crude scripts to generate cookie-cutter
scripts-functions that return the value of constants.

eg:

function [Val,Unit,Uncertanity]=speed_of_light_in_vacuum()
## speed of light in vacuum
## Val=299792458  Units=m s^-1 Uncertanity=0.0
## Autogenerated on Fri Feb  9 05:53:30 2007
## from NIST database at http://physics.nist.gov/constants Val = 299792458; Units = "m s^-1";
         Uncertanity = 0.0;
endfunction

What do you think? BTW I hope its ok to reuse the file from NIST, as I
hear work public agencies are generally in public-domain. Anyway please
discuss the interface we can provide to Octave.

~ Muthiah