Re: Matlab central and octave

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Matlab central and octave
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:13:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Nicolas,
I can't agree that Octave Forge, at least in the current version, is
appropriate replacement for MATLAB fileexchange area (MFA).
First of all, you have about 2-3 minuties for contributing files to MFA, vs
using cvs (as you propose in your web page) (btw many people, espesially who
works in Windows, doesn't know what is CVS at all). You propose:
"If you have code to contribute, send a message to the repository mailing
list or join the development team."
but what if code isn't enough good for now? will you implement them or say
"goodbye and return when it will be high-quality enough!"?
I propose other way - area (like MFA), where anyone can contribute his code,
as long as its upgrade (like MFA allows - once per 2 monthes, but as for me
I think it's very long period), and then Octave workers (after reading
reviews, like in  MFA) decide, does the code already good enough to be
implemented to Octave core. BTW Matworks CANNOT implement code from  MFA
because it demands GPL (or similar, for example CPL licence), but Octave
CAN, which increase importance of FileExcange Area for Octave.
Moreover, existing separate web pages makes code authors feel proud!:) And
they can directly contact with users of their code, removing bugs. Then,
they can mention these pages in their resume. I'm sure, there are much more
benefits - for example, swithich more people from visiting MATLAB-related
web pages to Octave-related web pages, for example those, who found MFA from
web search for apropriate m-code routine.
As for me, I read carefully Octave-forge developers guide long time ago
http://octave.sourceforge.net/new_developer.html
and found it to be something awfull.
I guess people, who contribute to MFA, will found better click mouse for
some times, than involving all that you describe there.
I would be glad if more people will say their opinion about the idea.
WBR, Dmitrey.