Re: octave instalation with adicional resources

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: octave instalation with adicional resources
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 22:55:55 +0100

Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:
> Hi Quentin.
>
> I find this two packages:
>
> 1 - sparse-devel-0.2-1.fc7.i386.rpm
> 2 - libufsparse-dev_1.2-7_i386.deb

You want ufsparse (now called suitesparse).. The version 1.2 is rather
old and will have lots of missing features for use with octave. I
believe 2.1.1 is the version you want.. Using pbone (a great rpm search
engine), I can easily find

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3432341/com/ufsparse-2.1.1-1.fc6.i386.rpm.html

for the Fedora 6 binary of this, though you should take the source RPM
and rebuild for slackware... I'd suggest a set of instructions like

wget
ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/fedora/linux/extras/development/SRPMS/ufsparse-2.1.1-1.fc6.src.rpm
rpm -Uvh ufsparse-2.1.1-1.fc6.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS
rpm -ba ufsparse.spec
cd ../RPMS/i586
rpm -Uvh ufsparse*

as a reasonable fashion to install suitesparse on an rpm enabled OS that
doesn't already have a ufsparse/suitesparse package available.. The
above has to be done as root of course...

Regards
David