sound

From: Federico O'Reilly
Subject: sound
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 13:24:46 -0500

Hi,
I'm running octave on an amd turion with fedora core 6 86_64 installed
on it and I can't get sound out of the sound function; I'm getting a
broken pipe. I'm a bit of a newbie but here's a list of the things
that I've tried:
Having sound running on alsa or on oss;
modifying the sound function so that auplay is used insted of play;
and modifying the sound function so that it writes an au file in my home folder.
With the last modification, I realized that neither play nor auplay on
my machine are recognizing the file output by octave as an au file;
play complains about the magic number. Both play and auplay are
playing properly other au files I've fed to them. Could it be that the
header is being written incorrectly due tu the machine's architecture?
If not, what might be the problem? Any help would be much appreciated.
Again, I am a newbie.
Thanks and cheers,
Federico O'Reilly