Re: Evaluating a string in octave

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: Evaluating a string in octave
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:52:19 -0500

It works fine.
Thanks to every body.
Doug

David Bateman wrote:
antonio palestrini wrote:
 either:  z=inline(q); z(5)
 or:      inline(q)(5);
wonderful short code!!!!
It works, even in my octave 2.1.69, with many parameters in the string!
And you don't have to remember upper case of parameters :-)

[oct 8]  q="2-k+h+f-g";
[oct 9]  z=inline(q)(5,2,2,2)
 z = 5
Dear Doug,
the help of inline says that arguments are extracted
in alphabetic order ("i" and "j" are not considered) so for people
like me that are usually so abstracted is better to write

 q= "2 + f - g + h - k

have a good work!
antonio

inline is really deprecated in matlab/octave and function handles should
be used... Note though that you can explicitly state what the variables
are including their order. Consider

octave:3> inline('y-x','y','x')(2,1)
ans =  1
octave:4> inline('y-x')(2,1)