Re: Wikibook on octave

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: Wikibook on octave
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:59:05 -0800

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 12:22 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> So it would be useful if people who want to improve the
> documentation available for Octave would submit changes to the
> Octave manual itself rather than writing a new and separate
> manual.

Personally, I'm a fan of Wikipedia's interface for both reading
and for making edits.  The existing Octave manual is a wonderful
resource, but it seems to me that if it was ported to a wikibook,
something that can easily and actively be edited and updated, the
end result would be even more resourceful.

I know that the current Octave wiki has had problems with
vandalism.  Do we have more confidence in
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Octave_Programming ?  As has been
discussed on this list, a complaint of the current wiki is the
edit restrictions.  Perhaps Wikibooks has a bit more advanced
features set against abuse.

Regards,
Steve
San Diego