eig-function, octave vs matlab

From: Alexander Sprafke
Subject: eig-function, octave vs matlab
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:16:41 +0100

Dear all,

I am working on octave 2.9.9 on linux. I am trying to port some matlab code into octave. Actually, I am through so far, but noticed that results computed with octave differ slightly (but still significantely) from those computed with matlab.
I spotted some lines which may be the reason, under matlab:

[EXY,K2] = eig(M,'nobalance')

Since octave's eig-function doesn't know about the nobalance-option, I just changes this line to:

[EXY,K2] = eig(M)

otherwise octave wouldn't run the code. Maybe this is the reason of the different results I obtain, so my question is:
How do I get octave to act like matlab concerning above's command?

Thank you very much!

Alexander Sprafke