Re: read file, skip columns

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: read file, skip columns
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:24:50 +0100

the_verge schrieb:
Hi,

I'm trying to read a tab separated data file into Octave.  Here's my issue:

I am trying to read in a data file that has a few string columns, and then a
few columns of numbers, and then the last 3 columns (out of 7) are the ones
I want to read into variables in octave.  What command do I use to skip a
certain number of colums?  Or can I assign dummy variables to the first four
columns and then erase them later?  Do I use load(), or do I use fgetl?

How do I do this?

Thanks,
Vergil

You use load if you load data that is known by octave. If you need a special parser you use fopen, fgetl (and sscanf) or fscanf and fclose. One answer is there
  http://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2007-January/002812.html
Thomas