Re: Replacing Matlab by Octave in ULB

From: Donald J Bindner
Subject: Re: Replacing Matlab by Octave in ULB
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:25:50 -0600

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 11:35:53PM +0100, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> I have proposed to switch to octave, to have less licence trouble and
> for the students to be able to use the same software at home without
> having to pay, but also to use more free softwares.

I use Octave for the (undergraduate) numerical analysis class I
teach at Truman State University.  I have found it to work very
well.

I also found it to work perfectly adequately for the year of
graduate numerical analysis that I did in graduate school with
one exception.  We had used the spline toolbox, which was not
available with Octave.

Personally I find the necessary amount of adaptation needed to
use Octave to be completely reasonable.  I am a strong proponent
of Octave.

Don

--
Don Bindner <address@hidden>