Re: Octave installation problem, still

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Octave installation problem, still
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:29:48 -0500

Hi Jan,
Please keep the discussion on the octave mailing list.

I attached my UFconfig.mk.

On a 32-bit system, you probably don't need the option -fPIC.

I looked to your config.log file. For some strange reasons your configure
scripts did not look for
umfpack.h and -lumfpack.
Cheers,

Alex

Jan Vervoorst wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
> the advice you gave me in December was very helpful. Unfortunately, I still
> haven't managed to configure Octave the way I want it to. I am unable to link
> to the UMFPACK and CHOLMOD libraries even if I specify the directories as was
> done in your example. I'm starting to wonder if this might have something to
> do with the way I installed SuiteSparse. Do you by any chance still have the
> UFconfig.mk file that served as the common configuration file for installing
> SuiteSparse? I didn't specify any UMFPACK/CHOLMOD options during that
> installation, so maybe that's where the problem is?
> Thanks for the help, Jan

  Alexander Barth

  Ocean Circulation Group
  University of South Florida
  College of Marine Science
  140 Seventh Avenue South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33701
  USA

  Phone: +1-727-553-3508     FAX:   +1-727-553-1189

#===============================================================================
# UFconfig.mk:  common configuration file for the SuiteSparse
#===============================================================================

# This file contains all configuration settings for all packages authored or
# co-authored by Tim Davis at the University of Florida:
#
# Package Version       Description
# ------- -------       -----------
# AMD     1.2 or later  approximate minimum degree ordering
# COLAMD  2.4 or later  column approximate minimum degree ordering
# CCOLAMD 1.0 or later  constrained column approximate minimum degree ordering
# CAMD    any           constrained approximate minimum degree ordering
# UMFPACK 4.5 or later  sparse LU factorization, with the BLAS
# CHOLMOD any           sparse Cholesky factorization, update/downdate
# KLU     0.8 or later  sparse LU factorization, BLAS-free
# BTF     0.8 or later  permutation to block triangular form
# LDL     1.2 or later  concise sparse LDL'
# LPDASA  any           linear program solve (dual active set algorithm)
#
# The UFconfig directory and the above packages should all appear in a single
# directory, in order for the Makefile's within each package to find this file.
#
# To enable an option of the form "# OPTION = ...", edit this file and
# delete the "#" in the first column of the option you wish to use.

# Generic configuration

# C compiler and compiler flags:  These will normally not give you optimal
# performance.  You should select the optimization parameters that are best
# for your system.  On Linux, use "CFLAGS = -O3 -fexceptions" for example.
CC = cc
CFLAGS = -O -fPIC

# ranlib, and ar, for generating libraries
RANLIB = ranlib
AR = ar cr

# delete and rename a file
RM = rm -f
MV = mv -f

# Fortran compiler (not normally required)
F77 = f77
F77FLAGS = -O -fPIC
F77LIB =

# C and Fortran libraries
LIB = -lm

# For compiling MATLAB mexFunctions
MEX = mex -O

# Which version of MAKE you are using (default is "make")
MAKE = make
# MAKE = gmake

# BLAS and LAPACK configuration:

# UMFPACK and CHOLMOD both require the BLAS.  CHOLMOD also requires LAPACK.
# See Kazushige Goto's BLAS at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/flame/goto/ or
# http://www.tacc.utexas.edu/~kgoto/ for the best BLAS to use with CHOLMOD.
# LAPACK is at http://www.netlib.org/lapack/ .  You can use the standard
# Fortran LAPACK along with Goto's BLAS to obtain very good performance.
# CHOLMOD gets a peak numeric factorization rate of 3.6 Gflops on a 3.2 GHz
# Pentium 4 (512K cache, 4GB main memory) with the Goto BLAS, and 6 Gflops
# on a 2.5Ghz dual-core AMD Opteron.

# These settings will probably not work, since there is no fixed convention for
# naming the BLAS and LAPACK library (*.a or *.so) files.  Assume the Goto
# BLAS are available.
BLAS = -L/home/abarth/Download/GotoBLAS -lgoto -lgfortran -lgfortranbegin
LAPACK = -llapack

# The BLAS might not contain xerbla, an error-handling routine for LAPACK and
# the BLAS.  Also, the standard xerbla requires the Fortran I/O library, and
# stops the application program if an error occurs.  A C version of xerbla
# distributed with this software (UFconfig/xerbla/libcerbla.a) includes a
# Fortran-callable xerbla routine that prints nothing and does not stop the
# application program.  This is optional.
# XERBLA = ../../UFconfig/xerbla/libcerbla.a

# If you wish to use the XERBLA in LAPACK and/or the BLAS instead,
# use this option:
XERBLA =

# If you wish to use the Fortran UFconfig/xerbla/xerbla.f instead, use this:
# XERBLA = ../../UFconfig/xerbla/libxerbla.a

# METIS, optionally used by CHOLMOD

# If you do not have METIS, or do not wish to use it in CHOLMOD, you must
# compile CHOLMOD with the -DNPARTITION flag.  You must also use the
# "METIS =" option, below.

# The path is relative to where it is used, in CHOLMOD/Lib, CHOLMOD/MATLAB, etc.
# You may wish to use an absolute path.  METIS is optional.  Compile
# CHOLMOD with -DNPARTITION if you do not wish to use METIS.
METIS_PATH = ../../metis-4.0
METIS = ../../metis-4.0/libmetis.a

# If you use CHOLMOD_CONFIG = -DNPARTITION then you must use the following
# METIS_PATH =
# METIS =

# UMFPACK configuration:

# Configuration flags for UMFPACK.  See UMFPACK/Source/umf_config.h for details.
#
# -DNBLAS       do not use the BLAS.  UMFPACK will be very slow.
# -D'LONGBLAS=long' or -DLONGBLAS='long long' defines the integers used by
#               LAPACK and the BLAS (defaults to 'int')
# -DNSUNPERF    do not use the Sun Perf. Library (default is use it on Solaris)
# -DNPOSIX      do not use POSIX routines sysconf and times.
# -DGETRUSAGE   use getrusage
# -DNO_TIMER    do not use any timing routines
# -DNRECIPROCAL do not multiply by the reciprocal
# -DNO_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO   do not divide by zero

UMFPACK_CONFIG =

# CHOLMOD configuration

# CHOLMOD Library Modules, which appear in libcholmod.a:
# Core          requires: none
# Check         requires: Core
# Cholesky      requires: Core, AMD, COLAMD.  optional: Partition, Supernodal
# MatrixOps     requires: Core
# Modify        requires: Core
# Partition     requires: Core, CCOLAMD, METIS.  optional: Cholesky
# Supernodal    requires: Core, BLAS, LAPACK
#
# CHOLMOD test/demo Modules (all are GNU GPL, do not appear in libcholmod.a):
# Tcov          requires: Core, Check, Cholesky, MatrixOps, Modify, Supernodal
#               optional: Partition
# Valgrind      same as Tcov
# Demo          requires: Core, Check, Cholesky, MatrixOps, Supernodal
#               optional: Partition
#
# Configuration flags:
# -DNCHECK          do not include the Check module.       License GNU LGPL
# -DNCHOLESKY       do not include the Cholesky module.    License GNU LGPL
# -DNPARTITION      do not include the Partition module.   License GNU LGPL
#                   also do not include METIS.
# -DNGPL            do not include any GNU GPL Modules in the CHOLMOD library:
# -DNMATRIXOPS      do not include the MatrixOps module.   License GNU GPL
# -DNMODIFY         do not include the Modify module.      License GNU GPL
# -DNSUPERNODAL     do not include the Supernodal module.  License GNU GPL
#
# -DNPRINT          do not print anything.
# -D'LONGBLAS=long' or -DLONGBLAS='long long' defines the integers used by
#                       LAPACK and the BLAS (defaults to 'int')
# -DNSUNPERF        for Solaris only.  If defined, do not use the Sun
#                       Performance Library

CHOLMOD_CONFIG = -DNPARTITION

# Linux

# Using default compilers:
# CC = gcc
# CFLAGS = -O3

# alternatives:
# CFLAGS = -g -fexceptions \
        -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes \
        -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wdisabled-optimization -ansi
# CFLAGS = -O3 -fexceptions \
        -Wall -W -Werror -Wshadow -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes \
        -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wdisabled-optimization -ansi
#CFLAGS = -O3 -fexceptions
# CFLAGS = -O3

# consider:
# -fforce-addr -fmove-all-movables -freduce-all-givs -ftsp-ordering
# -frename-registers -ffast-math -funroll-loops

# Using the Goto BLAS:
# BLAS = -lgoto -lfrtbegin -lg2c $(XERBLA) -lpthread

# Using Intel's icc and ifort compilers:
#   (does not work for mexFunctions unless you add a mexopts.sh file)
# F77 = ifort
# CC = icc
# CFLAGS = -O3 -xN -vec_report=0
# CFLAGS = -g
# old (broken): CFLAGS = -ansi -O3 -ip -tpp7 -xW -vec_report0

# 64bit:
# F77FLAGS = -O -m64
# CFLAGS = -O3 -fexceptions -m64
# BLAS = -lgoto64 -lfrtbegin -lg2c -lpthread $(XERBLA)
# LAPACK = -llapack64

# SUSE Linux 10.1, AMD Opteron
# F77 = gfortran
# BLAS = -lgoto_opteron64 -lgfortran

# SUSE Linux 10.1, Intel Pentium
# F77 = gfortran
# BLAS = -lgoto -lgfortran

# Solaris

# 32-bit
# CFLAGS = -KPIC -dalign -xc99=%none -Xc -xlibmieee -xO5 -xlibmil

# 64-bit
# CFLAGS = -KPIC -dalign -xc99=%none -Xc -xlibmieee -xO5 -xlibmil -xarch=v9

# BLAS = -xlic_lib=sunperf
# LAPACK =

# Compaq Alpha

# 64-bit mode only
# CFLAGS = -O2 -std1
# BLAS = -ldxml
# LAPACK =

# Macintosh

# CC = gcc
# CFLAGS = -O3 -fno-common -no-cpp-precomp -fexceptions
# LIB = -lstdc++
# BLAS = -framework Accelerate
# LAPACK = -framework Accelerate

# IBM RS 6000

# BLAS = -lessl
# LAPACK =

# 32-bit mode:
# CFLAGS   = -O4 -qipa -qmaxmem=16384 -qproto
# F77FLAGS = -O4 -qipa -qmaxmem=16384

# 64-bit mode:
# CFLAGS   = -O4 -qipa -qmaxmem=16384 -q64 -qproto
# F77FLAGS = -O4 -qipa -qmaxmem=16384 -q64
# AR = ar -X64

# SGI IRIX

# BLAS = -lscsl
# LAPACK =

# 32-bit mode
# CFLAGS = -O

# 64-bit mode (32 bit int's and 64-bit long's):
# CFLAGS = -64
# F77FLAGS = -64

# SGI doesn't have ranlib
# RANLIB = echo

# AMD Opteron (64 bit)

# BLAS = -lgoto_opteron64 -lg2c
# LAPACK = -llapack_opteron64

# SUSE Linux 10.1, AMD Opteron
# F77 = gfortran
# BLAS = -lgoto_opteron64 -lgfortran
# LAPACK = -llapack_opteron64

# remove object files and profile output

CLEAN = *.o *.obj *.ln *.bb *.bbg *.da *.tcov *.gcov gmon.out *.bak *.d