plot: x-axis with time format?

From: H. Wziontek
Subject: plot: x-axis with time format?
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:18:10 +0100 (CET)

Hello all,

I have a question concerning date/time-labels at the x-axis
of a plot.
For example, the units on x-axis are days of the year and I set in octave (version 2.9.9)

octave:35> __gnuplot_set__ ('timefmt "%j"')
octave:36> __gnuplot_show__ ('timefmt')

octave:37>      read format for time on x axis is "%j"
        read format for time on t axis is "%j"
        read format for time on u axis is "%j"

octave:37> __gnuplot_set__ ("xdata time")
octave:38> __gnuplot_show__ ("xdata")

octave:39>      x is set to time

but

octave:39> plot (46:145, rand(100,1))

produces labels at the x-axis reaching from 0:40 to 2:30,
which means, gnuplot has interpreted the values [46:145]
as seconds instead of days.

If I try the same in gnuplot directly (with help of the
tmp-file), everything works as expected.

gnuplot> set timefmt "%j"
gnuplot> show timefmt

        read format for time on x axis is "%j"
        read format for time on t axis is "%j"
        read format for time on u axis is "%j"

gnuplot> set xdata time
gnuplot> show xdata

        x is set to time

gnuplot> plot '/tmp/oct-ZTEHkc' using 1:2

Has anyone hints or a solution to generate plots from octave
with such special time/date-labels at the x-axis?

Many thanks

Hartmut