Re: Octave 2.9.9 + Octave-Forge 2006.07.09 on x86 MAC OS X 10.4.8 Tiger

From: Paul Koufalas
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.9 + Octave-Forge 2006.07.09 on x86 MAC OS X 10.4.8 Tiger
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:13:38 +1030

The helpful and speedy Fink maintainer of Octave has already fixed the problem.

Cheers,
Paul.

On 27/12/2006, at 4:39 AM, address@hidden wrote:

Paul,

I have never been able to fix the dispatch problem in octave 2.1.73. If you look at the packages I have @ hmug.org, you'll see octave 2.1.72 for Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 2.9.9 for Mac OS X 10.4.x.

My suspicion is that the Fink packager never actually tested octave 2.1.73 with octave-forge. It builds w/o any errors, however, there is a problem in libkpathsea that causes the dispatch error.

From: Paul Koufalas <address@hidden>
G'day all,

Taking Marius' and Joe's advice into account, I decided to keep
things simple and use "Fink" to install Octave and Octave Forge on my
new Intel Mac, accepting the earlier 2.1.73 and 2006-03-17 versions
resp. rather than the latest versions.

It's the first time I've used Fink and Fink Commander, but I was
familiar with dpkg, apt-get and synaptic on my old debian/ubuntu
system.  Fink took hours to complete the installations, and
downloaded not only binaries but also source code (and compiled it)
for dozens of dependencies (including a 145MB binary for tetex-
somethingorother?!).  When Fink had finished installing I now get the
following when running Octave (+ Forge)

paul-koufalas-computer:~ pkoufalas$ octave
GNU Octave, version 2.1.73 (i386-apple-darwin).
Copyright (C) 2006 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Additional information about Octave is available at http://
www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

error: `dispatch' undefined near line 2 column 1
error: near line 2 of file `/sw/share/octave/2.1.73/site/m/octave-
forge/comm//PKG_ADD'
error: source: error sourcing file `/sw/share/octave/2.1.73/site/m/
octave-forge/comm//PKG_ADD'
octave:1>

Noting this error didn't occur with only Octave installed.  I
searched look through the help archive and found a similar if not
identical problem:

This is a problem with loading bundles. Octave's libdl mechanism
doesn't
work on MacOSX, and unfortunately the mechanism that does work,
dyld, is
disabled in 2.1.73 due to a bug in configure. This is a botched bug
fix
from 2.1.72.

In 2.1.72, configure looked for a header <Mach-O/dyld.h> which
worked on
a non-case-sensitive file system, that is, for the majority of Mac
users. On a case-sensitive file system it did not work, because the
file's real name is <mach-o/dyld.h>. I reported this bug, and it was
fixed. Unfortunately, at the same time the variable
ac_cv_header_Mach_O_dyld_h was renamed to ac_cv_header_mach_o_dyld_h,
but not everywhere.

If you change configure line 17315

   if test "$ac_cv_header_Mach_O_dyld_h" = yes; then

   if test "$ac_cv_header_mach_o_dyld_h" = yes; then

and rebuild octave, chances are that your error will go away.

Is this indeed the problem, or have I misunderstood and there is a
different problem here, and different solution?  If it is the same
problem, it would then appear that the Fink maintainer for Octave and
Octave Forge needs to be made aware of this problem and fix.

Cheers,
Paul.