Re: Octave installation problem

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave installation problem
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:07:45 -0500

On 21-Dec-2006, Alexander Barth wrote:

| In case it is helpful, here is my configure line of Suse 10.0 for the sparse
matrix libraries
| compiled from source. Can you test if you have the rpm package of zlib-devel
installed?

| rpm -q zlib-devel
|
| The configure script didn't find cheev either on my system. But it wasn't a
"hard error" though.

| Alex
|

|  ./configure F77=gfortran CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/Download/UFconfig
-I$HOME/Download/AMD/Include
| -I$HOME/Download/UMFPACK/Include -I$HOME/Download/CHOLMOD/Include
-I$HOME/Download/COLAMD
| -I$HOME/Download/CCOLAMD -I$HOME/Download/CXSparse/Source " CFLAGS=-fPIC
CXXFLAGS=-fPIC FFLAGS=-fPIC
| LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/Download/AMD/Lib -L$HOME/Download/UMFPACK/Lib
-L$HOME/Download/CHOLMOD/Lib
| -L$HOME/Download/COLAMD -L$HOME/Download/CCOLAMD
-L$HOME/Download/CXSparse/Source -lg2c -lpthread"
| --enable-shared --enable-dl --disable-static
--prefix=$HOME/local64/octave-2.9.9
| --with-blas=$HOME/Download/GotoBLAS/libgoto.a

The default CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, and FFLAGS include -O options teling the
comilers to do optimization.  If you set them to -fPIC, then I think
you are turning optimization off.  Are you sure you want that?
Doesn't the configure script use -fPIC automatically on your system?
I think it should.  If it doesn't, what is the output of running
config.guess on your system?

jwe