Re: Octave 2.9.9 + Octave-Forge 2006.07.09 on x86 MAC OS X 10.4.8 Tiger

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.9 + Octave-Forge 2006.07.09 on x86 MAC OS X 10.4.8 Tiger
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:20:22 -0700

on 12/15/06 5:41 AM, Paul Koufalas at address@hidden wrote:

>> G'day all.
>>
>> I'm trying to get Octave + Octave Forge running on my new MacBook
>> Pro Core 2 Duo (x86) running OS X 10.4.8 (Tiger)
>>
>> I installed the binary Octave 2.9.9 from the HPC project without
>> much trouble at all.  I then tried to install the binary Octave-
>> Forge from the HMUG site and am having trouble getting it to work.
>> Not sure if it's something simple (path problem), Mac specific (X11
>> issue) or nefarious.

Paul,

First, I am not a developer, but rather an octave user. I have a "built from
source" octave-2.9.9 installed on my Mac G5 with OS X 10.4.8. I am using
(with some patches) octave-forge-2006.07.09, and it does everything that I
need, but it is not completely functional, especially in some image related
areas. Octave is currently in a transition period waiting for a new
octave-forge package system, and some improvements to the gnuplot interface,
so some special temporary measures are probably in order.

As I recall, the HMUG installer is different from the HPC installer.
Basically, the HMUG installer is the "sudo make install" portion of the
octave-forge build, while the HPC installer copies the binary structure from
a tar file into /usr/local. The HMUG approach is more dependent on what else
is installed on the machine (libraries, etc.), so I'm not surprised that
they two approaches are not completely compatible.

My suggestion for an interim solution, assuming that you have Xcode-2.4
Developer Tools installed, would be to install gfortran from the HPC site
and attempt to build octave-forge-2006.07.09. If mkoctfile functions
properly, you should be able to build and install a compatible octave-forge.
Once it is working properly, the octave-forge build only takes a few
minutes.

Otherwise, the fallback is to go back to octave-2.1.73 and it's associated
octave-forge from Fink or MacPorts until octave is through the transition.

Any other ideas?

Joe