Octave-Forge Windows install question

From: Reidar Strand Hagen
Subject: Octave-Forge Windows install question
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 15:33:32 +0100

Hi

I'm trying to use Octave on windows without installing it. What I've
done is simply install it on one machine, and rar and copy it to the
other machine.

However, it doesn\t seem to be working. When starting with the same
command, it simply doesn't work. When invoking bin\sh manually (which
works on original install), it seems that the root filesystem is
mounted instead of the directory itself. I've searched through the
environment variables, the registry and grepped the install directory,
but I can't seem to find anything which explain this behaviour.

Anybody know what's happening? Or have workarounds?

thanks
Reidar Strand Hagen

/// from GNU Octave 2.1.73 copied to new machine
C:\Documents and Settings\reidarst\Desktop\GNU Octave 2.1.73>bin\sh
bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!
bin/sh-3.00$ /
BIOS/                      beeb/
Documents and Settings/    boot.ini
GTK/                       compaq/
GtkGLExt/                  crtc.log
I386/                      cygdrive/
IO.SYS                     drivers/
MSDOS.SYS                  fisk.mat
MSOCache/                  hyperspec/
MinGW/                     jars/
My Documents/              ntdetect.com
Program Files/             ntldr
Python23/                  proc/
Python24/                  temp/
RECYCLER/                  temptull.RData
SWSetup/                   test
SYSTEM.SAV/                testeeee
System Volume Information/ testii.r
WINDOWS/