Re: Octave download statistics

From: J. Brian Adams
Subject: Re: Octave download statistics
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 09:44:50 -0500

I have been using it in two undergraduate classes; computational mathematics and computational probability and simulation. My goal has been to avoid canned packages and require the students to write the algorithms themselves. Further, I do not want these courses to become followups of programming in Java or C++, especially since they are open to (and the majority of registrants are) non-CS students. I have found that Octave provides a simple language that is understandable to both the computer science students and the non- computer science students alike.

Of course it is not without its difficulties. The single recurring problem is an objection to using it by a minority of the CS students. Although they have never used it before, for some reason they immediately consider it a toy language and thus do not want to be bothered learning it. Most do though, and of those, several have commented about being glad to be able use it in other classes and even later when they begin research in graduate school.