Octave installation problem

From: Jan Vervoorst
Subject: Octave installation problem
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:54:20 +0100

Hi,
I'm trying to install Octave 2.9.9 on a Suse Linux 10.1 machine. I get an
almost identical error message as the one posted in this earlier thread:
http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/octave/lists/archive//help-octave.2006/msg01010.html

> configure:25031: result: no
> configure:25050: WARNING: I couldn't find -ltermcap, -lterminfo,
> -lncurses, -lcurses, or -ltermlib!
> configure:25066: checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline
> configure:25104: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lreadline  -ldl
> -lm  >&5
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgoto'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tputs'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetent'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
> /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:25110: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h.  */

Octave warns that it can't find Readline, even though it is installed on my
system. I read the previous responses but that didn't solve my problem. The
Readline development libraries that came with Suse 10.1 are installed, so what
else could be the problem?
Thanks for your help, Jan