Octave download statistics

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Octave download statistics
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:07:28 -0500

On 13-Dec-2006, Shai Ayal wrote:

| Are there download totals for octave?

How would you get this?  I would guess most people using Octave now
are using binary distributions (various Linux, OS/X, and Cygwin
distributions).  There are many mirrors and ways to get these
packages, so how would you count them all?

Also, do you count each download as a user?  Maybe one download is
used by tens or hundreds.  Maybe the package is installed but never
used.  Maybe someone downloads just to look at the sources.

I no longer keep the log files at ftp.octave.org now since I don't
think that whatever number I would get from looking at the logs would
mean much anyway.

jwe