Re: Matlab package manager

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Matlab package manager
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:56:28 +0100

Søren Hauberg wrote:
> Matthias Brennwald skrev:
>
>> On 11.12.2006, at 11:17, David Bateman wrote:
>>

>>> Also, I've already talked to Soren about this, and we'd be willing to
>>> BSD license the package manager code (it's only a single m-file) and
>>> therefore allow it to be modified to use with matlab. I'd like to see
>>> this happen and there is no equivalent for matlab and create a
>>> standard
>>> package manager for matlab would allow easier sharing of packages
>>> between octave and matlab in the long run, even though it might be a
>>> little short term pain for you.
>>>
>> That sounds great! Please let me know when this happens.
>>
> What is needed is a small script that'll convert pkg.m into something
> that'll run in matlab (I hate that matlab isn't Octave compatible).
> I think such a script already exist, but I don't really know.
> I don't think we should change pkg.m to make it matlab compatible
> because that'll remove nice things such as texinfo documentation.

The script in question is oct2mat available at

http://octave.sourceforge.net/oct2mat.tar.gz

though it might need a little tweaking. Also, I'd suggest that we should
run texinfo over the help string to create an appropriate matlab help
string..

> I don't if there is a need to relicense the code to a BSD license, but
> if it's okay with John, it's okay with.

I think the only contributors to pkg.m are you and I at the moment.
Therefore, we are free to BSD license this file. The question is would
John allow a BSD licensed file in the octave core, or would he force it
to be relicensed (which of course he can do used BSD) to GPL. If it is
relicensed as GPL it would force us to maintain a secondary repository
for pkg.m, and any contributions to pkg.m from others we'd have to
explicitly get permission to accept them in a BSD licensed file..
Therefore I'd prefer if pkg.m was BSD licensed in octave itself.

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only