Re: What is the default path, where is the startup file?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: What is the default path, where is the startup file?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:17:19 +0100

Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> On 11.12.2006, at 10:31, David Bateman wrote:
>

>> Matthias Brennwald wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I intend to make some of my Octave/Matlab code available to the GNU
>>> project. GNU requires that every GNU package comes with a configure
>>> script. The configure script should move (install) my program files to
>>> a place where Octave or Matlab programs belong, which highly depends
>>> on
>>> the users setup. Also, the configure script should probably add the
>>> path to the file to the startup file. Therefore:
>>>
>>> * How can the configure script know if the user prefers Octave or
>>> Matlab, or which of the two is installed on the machine?
>>> * What is a good default path to install the program files?
>>> * How can the configure script know where Octave or Matlab look for
>>> program files?
>>> * How can the configure script know where the startup file (either
>>> .octaverc or startup.m) are?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>>> Matthias
>>>

>> Use the octave package manager for this.. Details are currently
>> available at
>>
>> http://octave.dbateman.org/developers.html
>>
>> particular if you want octave-forge to host your package...
>>

> No offense, but there are a few problems with this solution:
>
> * It relies on octave forge, but I haven't been able to install /
> compile that on my machine. I don't want to limit the user base of my
> work just because octave forge is a little (too) difficult to install.
> * It hides my work away from the Matlab world. I don't want to take
> away the users ability to choose between Octave and Matlab.

The octave package manager is just a tar-ball with a certain structure.
There is nothing to stop you having a makefile in the top directory of
the package that would work with both octave and windows, though would
not be used by the package manager.

Also, I've already talked to Soren about this, and we'd be willing to
BSD license the package manager code (it's only a single m-file) and
therefore allow it to be modified to use with matlab. I'd like to see
this happen and there is no equivalent for matlab and create a standard
package manager for matlab would allow easier sharing of packages
between octave and matlab in the long run, even though it might be a
little short term pain for you.

You don't need to install octave-forge as a whole, just the packages
that interest you. So if you fail to build a particular package no worries.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary