Re: the number of bits of an image read with imread

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: the number of bits of an image read with imread
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:23:19 +0100

On 05.12.2006, at 19:07, address@hidden wrote:

Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 17:54:11 +0100
From: "Eric Nowak" <address@hidden>
Subject: the number of bits of an image read with imread
To: address@hidden

Hi all,
I am using octave to read 8bits and 16bits image with imread().
I need to convert the image to floats in [0,1], e.g. dividing the image
values by 2^bitnb.
The pb is, I can't figure out what the bit nb is.

Of course, I can't look for the max value of an image to figure it out
because:
- it is too slow
- a 16bits image may have values under 255

Any idea how to solve the problem?

Can you look at the amount of memory needed to store the data, and compare that with the dimension of the matrix?

Matthias