Re: Help with 2.9.9

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Help with 2.9.9
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:33:55 +0100

Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E] wrote:
> help matrix_type has language problems. I can't understand this:
>       'This allows rapid for solutions of linear equations involving A to be
> performed.'

Grrr.. Ok.. I'd deal with it..

> Hmm, 1 2
>      2 4 has a zero eigenvalue but matrix_type says it's positive definite.
> That's wrong.

See my other mail on this. Try in particular

R = [1,2;2,4];
matrix_type(R)
x = R \ ones(2,1);
matrix_type(R)

and see what you get... The probing code for PD is fast but
approximative. If it thinks it has a PD matrix it calls the cholesky
solver, then failing it calls the LU solver, and it also fails and so it
finally calls the minimum norm solver...

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary