Re: Lining up the axes of multiplots/subplots

From: Michael Kopp
Subject: Re: Lining up the axes of multiplots/subplots
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:04:53 +0100

Hi,

>> We will probably make it easier to communicate directly with gnuplot
>> by allowing you to do the things that are outlined in the second
>> message linked above, but you will have to assume complete
>> responsibility of the plot as mixing arbitrary calls to
>> __gnuplot_raw__ with the higher-level plotting commands will not
>> work.  Given that, I wonder why one would not simply write out data
>> files and then run gnuplot separately.
>
> Well, speaking as a user, you'd want to do it for convenience.  If I can
> write a script in Octave to analyse data, and another to plot it, all
> from one command line ...

What I sometimes do as a workaround is to have my octave script write and
execute the gnuplot script, like

plotfile = 'plot.gpl'
f1 = fopen(plotfile, 'w')
fprintf('plot \"data.txt u 1:2 w lines\"'); % or something more complicated
fclose(f1);
system(sprintf('gnuplot %s', plotfile));
unlink(plotfile);

When plotting large datasets, this is also considerably faster than using
the octave plot command.

The above works on Linux. I don't know about Windows or Mac.

Michael.

--
Dr. Michael Kopp
Section of Evolutionary Biology