Re: Lining up the axes of multiplots/subplots

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Lining up the axes of multiplots/subplots
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:08:24 +0100

Apologies to everyone, a message I wrote in this discussion went
off-list accidentally.  I can post it again if anyone's really
interested but I think the following reply from John captures all the
essentials. :-)

John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 20-Nov-2006, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
>
> | There are two problems I have.  The first is that there's a lot of
> | things you can do with Gnuplot which you can't with Octave, or at least
> | through Octave's own plotting commands.
>
> That is a current problem, but not really a long-term problem if we
> move toward a more complete implementation of Matlab-style plotting.

Sure.  As I said in my "lost" email, the commands are a secondary issue
to having a means to do it at all.

> | The second problem is simply that if you're going to use Gnuplot for
> | plotting, then accessing it 'directly' via __gnuplot_raw__ or whatever
> | should be compatible with whatever is done by Octave's own plotting
> | functions.  Users should have choice to mix as they see fit.
>
> That is not possible.  Did you read the two messages that I posted
> links for?

I read them but was not confident in my understanding.  What you seem to
be saying is that using raw gnuplot commands screws up the plotting
configuration that the internal Octave commands rely on.  Is that correct?

Will it continue to be possible to use "pure Gnuplot" (i.e. Gnuplot and
only Gnuplot) plotting commands from within Octave?  This would make
sense at least for as long as Octave's own commands fall short of what
Gnuplot offers.