Re: configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found (although installed)

From: norberthauser04
Subject: Re: configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found (although installed)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:17:14 +0100

I took 2.9.6 since the latest octave-forge is for this octave version. Will it
also work for 2.9.9?

One of the reasons that I use the 2.9 branch is that I haven't been successful
with the octave-forge installation for 2.1.72, and 2.9 already includes some
sparse functionality (which I need) from octave-forge. Is there some
step-by-step guide howto install any octave with the compatible actave-forge?
All combinations I tried ended with some compilation errors, and I wonder how
these versions made it into the release.

> | I have installed SuiteSparse including UMFPACK and metis.
> | I have set
> |  export LDFLAGS=-L $HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Lib/
> |  export CFLAGS=-I $HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Include/
> |
> | When running
> | cd $HOME/tmp/octave-2.9.6
> | ./configure
> | somewhere near the end of config.log I read the following error messages
> (see below).
> | What can I do against "WARNING: UMFPACK not found."? Do I have to set
> --with-umfpack=yes (or =some lib)?
> |
> | Regards,
> | Norbert
> |
> | Here is part of the config.log:
> | [...]
> | Octave is now configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> Run configure like this:
>
>   configure CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Include" \
>             LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/tmp/SuiteSparse/UMFPACK/Lib" \
>             ... other otptions ...

I tried this. Same error:
configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functio                  nality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack of
functiona                  lity for sparse matrices.

I'll use 2.9.9 and try again.
Is there another download location than
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html? Quite often I can't access
that page because of timeout errors.