Re: matlab,octave clone in java. JMathLib

From: A. Scottedward Hodel
Subject: Re: matlab,octave clone in java. JMathLib
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:31:52 -0600

I agree for another reason, which is that the C++ octave interfaces and numerical libraries provide a useful and straightforward way to interface octave with external legacy code.  This is useful in many environments where FORTRAN and C++ code is the preferred language of development.

At about a dozen years old, octave is, in some sense, becoming legacy code in the sense that we've got a huge base of software that works.  Conversion to another language is nowhere near a  trivial effort, so a case would be need  to be made that it needs done and, if such a case is made, a large group of people would need to volunteer to do it.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Yours,