Re: Plotting problem with 2.9.x, but not 2.1.7x (was: Problem with mesh

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Plotting problem with 2.9.x, but not 2.1.7x (was: Problem with mesh command)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:04:07 +0100

Does that mean that I'll have to compile Octave myself? I don't think there's a precompiled version of the current CVS available, right? I haven't been lucky with compiling Octave myself in the past, and I therefore decided to save me the hassle and the time by installing binaries only.

Matthias

On 14.11.2006, at 00:56, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 13-Nov-2006, Matthias Brennwald wrote:

| I just went back from Octave 2.9.9 (from HPC) to Octave 2.1.72 (from
| Fink), and the below issue with 3D-plotting vanished.

| > x = [1:10];
| > y = [1:20];
| >
| > [X,Y] = meshgrid(x,y); Z = - X;
| > subplot(3,1,1)
| > mesh(Z)
| > __gnuplot_raw__ ("set logscale x;\n");
| > replot
| >
| > subplot(3,1,2)
| > mesh(x,y,Z)
| > __gnuplot_raw__ ("set logscale x;\n");
| > replot
| >
| > subplot(3,1,3)
| > mesh(X,Y,Z)
| > __gnuplot_raw__ ("set logscale x;\n");
| > replot
| >
| > *****************************
| >
| > I'd expect three identical plots from this, with the x axis scaled
| > logarithmically. However, the x axis is NOT scaled logarithmically. | > Even worse, plot 1 looks like what I'd expect (Z values range from -1
| > to -10), whereas the plots 2 and 3 are completely wrong (Z values
| > range from 0 to 20 or so, and there's an oscilation in the y
| > direction). Also, plots 2 and 3 look similar to each other. Still
| > worse is that if I run the code a second time, plot 2 now looks
| > similar to plot 1 (Z ranging from -1 to -10), but plot 3 still shows
| > Z values from 0 to 20 with the oscillation in the y direction.

I think these problems are fixed in the current CVS sources of Octave.

jwe

-------
Matthias Brennwald
Lägernstrasse 6