Octave and sound in/out

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Octave and sound in/out
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 10:42:31 +0100

Dear all,

Octave offers some commands for sound input and output through the sound card. However, these commands don't work yet on Mac OS X. As I'm working mostly with Macs, I wrote some external command tool that does the audio in/out for Octave on my Mac (this tool is designed specifically for my needs, so it's not a general purpose audio interface for Octave on the Mac).

Now, I'm wondering how I could make my code work on other platforms (Linux, Windows). What I need is simultaneous audio playback and recording. I need this to play a test signal to some device (e.g. a loudspeaker) and record its response signal. The test signals are usually not longer than a second or so. I thought I'd ask if simultaneous audio in/out is possible witht eh 'standard' Octave commands on Linux/Windows before trying to get hold of a Linux or Windows box (I don't have any at the moment).

Matthias