Octave Installation on IntelMac

From: Elena
Subject: Octave Installation on IntelMac
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 18:13:30 -0800 (PST)

Sorry for a stupid question! I cannot quite understand
the installation instructions, more precisely - "sudo
tar -xvf octave-bin.tar -C / and you are done! It
installs in /usr/local/"

I run Mac OS X 10.4.7 on intel-based Mac. So far I've
advanced to the following stage:
- GNU MAKE download
- GCC 4 download (for IntelMacs)
- Xcode Tools 2.2.1 download
- OCTAVE download
- unzipping the OCTAVE
- opening the "make.h" file in the GNU MAKE directory
- it led to launching the GNU MAKE and defining the
directories

Then, I guess the "sudo tar -xvf octave-bin.tar -C" is
a command, but where exactly should I type it??? (My
command of the GNU MAKE only went to the point where I
was able to open a new project :-( )

I have no idea about programming, so, if someone would
take the time to respond, could you please use the
common-public words and explanations.

Thanks a lot!

(http://voice.yahoo.com)