OCTAVE_HISTFILE not honoured when file does exist

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: OCTAVE_HISTFILE not honoured when file does exist
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 13:57:05 +0100

I am trying to get Octave having separate history files in a per-directory
basis.  I did:

    export OCTAVE_HISTFILE=./.octave_hist

However, this only works when the file .octave_hist already exists in the
current directory.  If it does not, then Octave falls back to ~/.octave_hist
but I would like to have Octave creating the history file for me if it does
not exist.

Is the current behavior a bug or a feature?

--
Rafael