How To Create the Linkage Function

From: Bill Denney
Subject: How To Create the Linkage Function
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 18:07:20 -0400

I'm trying to do some clustering analysis. To do this, I was trying to write the linkage function. It takes in a vector of the distances between two points and returns a clustered set of linkages.

The challenge I've come up against is: the distances are all that is passed in. That is fine for just finding the closest pairs, but when you want to join one cluster with a point or another cluster, I don't see an easy way to determine the location of a cluster. What I've found so far is that I have to determine a new coordinate space for the elements and place each element into that coord space. I can't think of a simple algorithm to place objects into a coordinate space using their distances. Also, since the distances were determined in a generalized way, I'm not sure that what I've said above is even correct.

Any pointers?

Bill