Sound, Importing .raw and .lin formats

From: Nair
Subject: Sound, Importing .raw and .lin formats
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:19:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi

I am recording sound files using Sound Recorder which comes with windows.
Sound recorder saves these as .wav but from
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Audio-Processing.html#Audio-Processing
I need these in a .raw or .lin format.

Audacity can't convert to .raw or to .lin and I am having trouble finding an
encoder / converter

I have tried to save files from Sound Recorder as .raw and then I can play
the .raw file back in Sound Recorder without any problems. However when I
try to import it as a .raw file in Octave it says there is an error at
column 3

X = loadaudio (file1, raw, 16)

(the file I am trying to load into X is in C:\Program Files\GNU Octave
2.1.73\octave_files directory and is named file1.raw

I am new to this and appreciate any help you can give with regards to
importing a sound file into Octave.

Also is there perhaps any package/addon to octave that can read .wav or .mp3
files?

The reason I need to import a sound file is to do a fast fourier transform
on it to get frequencies etc

Thanks in advance.

Nair