Smoothing Functions without distorting matrices' edges

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Smoothing Functions without distorting matrices' edges
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:21:31 -0700

This may be slightly OT, but maybe someone may know an easy
function to do this - smooth a matrix without severely
distorting the edges.

I have a matrix, say 1200 by 150, containing "trend"
values.  Each row is expected to be much like an adjacent
row and across the columns tends to be some unknown gentle
curvature.  The matrix contains a high percentage of noise,
as much as 300%.

I have written my own smoothing techniques to prevent
severe distortion to the edges of the matrix, but alas
being non-vectorized they are very slow.

The best candidate so far has been to use conv2 buried in a
specialized processing function, coupled with a small size
profile.

How does one smooth a matrix and NOT severely distort the
edges?  Is there some easy way to do this?

         - Robert -