Re: How does Octave shine?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: How does Octave shine?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:54:08 +0200

Hi,
  So this might not be the answer you're looking for, but to me, Octave
has two advantages that makes it the most important piece of software on
my machine

  1) It's Free Software. This mean that I can read the source code when
things don't work. When Matlab fails, you have to work around matlabs
limitations. When Octave fails, you can figure out why this is the case.
>From a scientific point of view, you also have the option of opening
every single blackbox. When you use Octave/Matlab for prototyping it's
very important to be able to know what Octave/Matlab does when you need
to implement the same algorithm in C/C++. (You get the idea)

  2) The Community. Not only are the Octave people very friendly, they
are also extremely smart. The tips you get on these mailing lists can
really save your day.

So my answers to your question wasn't the technical ones I think you're
looking for, but I think they are important.

Søren