Re: how to improve the speed of octave?

From: frank wang
Subject: Re: how to improve the speed of octave?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:07:50 -0700

Thanks.

I do need the newest feature in octave.

So I should install atlas, fftw3 to speed up the octave. How could I found whether my system admin has installed atlas or fftw3 on the machine?

Frank

On 9/15/06, Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:
frank wang wrote:
> On 9/15/06, *David Bateman* <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     frank wang wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > I am trying to use octave for a big project. It is written in
>     matlab.
>     > When I run the code on octave, it is significantly slow. The code
>     > involes a lot of fft operation. I have compiled the octave 2.9.8 by
>     > myself. How can I compile the octave to make it run faster? Do I
>     need
>     > to install Atlas, fftw3, blas, lapack or other packages?
>     >
>     > Thanks
>     >
>     > Frank
>     >
>     What platform and distribution are you running on? There are pre-built
>     packages including such external dependencies for most platforms. I'd
>     suggest using one of these rather than installing all of the external
>     dependencies yourself..
>
>     D.
>

> I am running on Suse 10.1.

I see libraries for fftw3 in
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/i586/ .
You need to install the fftw3-devel library before you compile octave.
(By the way, it looks like SuSE has octave 2.1.72 precompiled, and I
would guess it is linked to fftw3, if you don't need the 2.9.x
features). You should be aware that octave will still be slower than
recent versions of Matlab if you use a lot of for loops. Code involving
mostly fftw and vector operations should be similar in speed (if you
have atlas).

Quentin