Unknown error and crash

From: Vergil Mueller
Subject: Unknown error and crash
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:53:02 -0600

Hi all,

I apologize if this post exhibits improper etiquitte, but this is my first time dealing with a bug.   Once I figure out what's going on, I will submit a formal bug report, but I don't know how to figure out what makes the problem occur.

I have written a program that analyzes hourly solar radiation data on the earth's surface for a whole year (thousands of hours), and does multiple calculations at every step.  I can analyze an individual month just fine, but when I set up a for-loop to analyze all 12 months, Octave crashes and quits itself before I can see the error message.  It flashes something about a memory error up on the screen just before it quits, but I can't read what it says before it goes away.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to begin unravelling a bug like this?  Is there an error log file where Octave posts its errors so I can see what the specifics of the error are?

Could it have anything to do with the fact that I store my vectors as a very tall column instead of a very long row?  (I was using Matlab for a similar problem and ran into errors when storing vectors as a single column instead of a single row).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vergil