Re: loading the octave function

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: loading the octave function
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 12:17:12 -0400

On  7-Sep-2006, Doug Stewart wrote:

| Yes this is normal. Octave does this to speed up the looking for the M
| files.
|
| All the M files are recorded at start up and then Octave does not look
| through all those directories again later.

This isn't quite how things work.  With 2.1.x, Octave looks up files
each time they are needed, but by default it skips checking time
stamps on files in system directories (those that contain files
distributed with Octave).  Also, I think there have been some bugs
with looking up files that have been added to system directories so
that Octave was not finding files when it should have.

For 2.9.x, Octave does cache the file names as it searches for .m or
.oct files and it also skips checking timestamps on files in system
directories so modified files won't be noticed, but it should find
files that have been added.

| But Octave does look in  a directory called Octave-files each time you
| try and run and M file.  So put your new files in the
| Octave_ files  directory then all will be well. :-)

Octave doesn't look at any directory called "Octave-files" or
"Octave_files" unless you have added a directory with that name to
your Octave load path.

jwe