Plot3 won't plot more than one set of data (and hold is on)

From: Buck Holmes
Subject: Plot3 won't plot more than one set of data (and hold is on)
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:58:21 -0700

Hi,

I've been using octave for a couple of months now, and really like it.
I'm still moving up the learning curve, though.

I've tried to find the solution to this before posting this, but can't
seem to.  I did find a similar problem posted (link below), but in this
case it looks like updating things worked well.  I didn't have the same
luck.

https://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2006-July/000925.html

I've got octave running on an xp box using cygwin, and my code works
fine.  When I plot data points (using plot3) as well as the plane (using
mesh), I can see everything.

I've recently switched over to a linux box (fedora5), and used yum to
install octave.  I've updated everything, so I think I've got all the
most recent stuff from the repository.  Anyway, octave seems to run
fine, but when I try to plot both my data points and mesh, I can see the
data points get drawn, then very quickly they disappear and all I see is
the mesh, and it looks like I had plotted things with hold off (but it
is on).  It seems to behave just like Jordi in the link above
describes.

I'm running GNU Octave, version 2.9.7.  I started a bug report so it
would dump my configuration stuff, and it is below.  I've got gnuplot
1.4, patchlevel 0 (posted below).

Finally, below that is a snip of the code where I'm having the plotting
problem.  If this has already been answered, please point me to the
thread (I couldn't figure out how to search the archives, but I did try
to scan the thread titles, where I found the link above).  Otherwise, if
anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance,

Buck

Bug report/configuration:
Bug report for Octave 2.9.7 configured for i686-redhat-linux-gnu

uname output:     Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp #1
SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:39 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Gnuplot info:

G N U P L O T
        Version 4.0 patchlevel 0
        last modified Thu Apr 15 14:44:22 CEST 2004
        System: Linux 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp

Code where I experience the above:

% Plot the full aperture data and the best fit plane
figure(1);
plot3(deformedxyz(:,1),deformedxyz(:,2),deformedxyz(:,3),'bo');
hold on;
title(['Full aperture: ',num2str(PV_Error),' P-V error and
',num2str(RMS_Error), ' RMS error (',Units(20:21),')'])
% Units was read in from the data at the top header.  I-DEAS seems to
always start the actual unit at column 20.
xlabel(Units(20:21));
ylabel(Units(20:21));
zlabel(Units(20:21));
%legend('off');
grid on
% Plot the best fit plane
[xgrid,ygrid]=meshgrid(linspace(min(deformedxyz(:,1)),max(deformedxyz(:,1)),5),...

linspace(min(deformedxyz(:,2)),max(deformedxyz(:,2)),5));
%
zgrid=(1/Direction_Cosines_d(3)).*(mean(Centroid_d,1)*Direction_Cosines_d-(xgrid.*Direction_Cosines_d(1)+...

%ygrid.*Direction_Cosines_d(2)))
zgrid=-(Dd+Direction_Cosines_d(1).*xgrid
+Direction_Cosines_d(2).*ygrid)./Direction_Cosines_d(3);
mesh(xgrid,ygrid,zgrid);
hold off;