Re: how to build octave with ufsparse lib

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: how to build octave with ufsparse lib
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:13:26 -0600

on 8/25/06 6:39 PM, frank wang at address@hidden wrote:

Hi,

I have finally build the UMFpack and other packages for sparse matrix. Could someone tell me where I should put these library files and how to build octave to use these library? I have copied these file to usr/local/lib and type ./configure in octave directory, octave configure file still cannot find the lib and header files such as umfpack.h, etc. Should I copy all source code of UMFpack into the octave source directory?

Thanks

Frank

Frank,

You have only begun. There are eight libraries that must be built under the Ufsparse umbrella. The best way to start is to download the entire Ufsparse-2.0 library for the website.

Each of the eight libraries that you need must be built separately. The libraries that you need are AMD, CAMD, CHOLMOD, CCOLMAND, COLAMD, CXSparse, metis-4.0 from (http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/node), and UMFPACK (which you already have). First you modify a file called UFconfig.h for your particular machine. You have to locate things like gcc, blas, lapack, etc. for the build. UFconfig.h must reside in the UFconfig folder, a directory that is at the same level as the other libraries.

Then, one by one, build the libraries: libamd.a, libcamd.a, libcolamd.a, etc. After you’re done, there is no install program, so copy the .a files into the usual library location such as /usr/local/lib. Next, you must get the appropriate header (.h) files, such as colamd.h, ccolamd, etc. into the proper subdirectory in /usr/local/include. Until they are in the correct location, the octave configure script will not find them. Watch out, you need at least chmod 0644 permissions on the .h files for ./configure to see them. Then run

  ./configure —enable-shared —disable-static

in the octave-2.9.8 directory. The first time, none or a few of the libraries will not be recognized, so check config.log, and continue to copy header files into directories like /usr/local/include/ufsparse and /usr/local/include/metis, until your config.log shows no missing header files.

Then you are ready to make, and make install.

The alternative is to ask where all the other Linux users are  getting their UFsparse, and install it from the Linux installer. Much easier. I just had to do the above because the Macintosh doesn’t have an easy installer.

Good luck.

Joe