Re: Any success building 2.9.7 under cygwin

From: Bob Weigel
Subject: Re: Any success building 2.9.7 under cygwin
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:38:54 -0400

> 1. run octave from a USB flash drive that can be taken from machine to
> machine, and
> 2. does not interfere with a currently installed version of cygwin
>
>  ( I know "mount" has some bearing here, but I'm not quite sure how)

It is only possible to do this with "registry interference".  I wrote a script
to automate it but cannot locate it.  Unmounting/mounting involves modifying
the registry.  The scripts used in

http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/

may help.  I recall that the cygwin mailing list archive has instructions for
switching between root directories of cygwin and that to automate it I added
a few dos commands that killed all existing cygwin processes (by pattern
matching, I think).  So you can see why this is not recommended for general
use.

Note that I was doing this because I had a current cygwin install (gcc 3.4+)
and wanted to compile Octave (can't use gcc 3.4 last I tried).   I too wanted
to do something along the lines of what you describe.  Eventually I decided
that a better way to go would be to install Octave on a small linux distro
(or strip down a large distro with good Octave support such as Fedora) and
then modify it to run as a virtual machine and carry the virtual image on a
usb disk.  This still requires the user to have VMWare player installed,
however.

Bob