Installation problems of octave on AIX 5.3

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Installation problems of octave on AIX 5.3
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:11:12 -0400

On 31-Jul-2006, CECCHI FABIO wrote:

| Hello help-octave mailing list,
|
|             I am trying to compile octave on IBM with O.S. AIX 5.3.
|

| I got the binary of octave only with the 'static' compilation (version 2.1.73
and 2.9.5 have the same problem on AIX) but if I try to run octave (for example
./octave in src directory of sources), it responds with:

| error: invalid character `' (ASCII 1) near line 1, column 2
|
| parse error near line 1 of file ./octave

|     ^
|

| Does anybody can help me ?

that is a strange error.  It seems like Octave is complaining that it
can't parse the octave binary.  I have no idea why that would happen.
Precisely what command did you use to run the resulting Octave binary?

If you think you have found a bug in Octave, please submit a complete
bug report to address@hidden  Please also read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to see what information should be
included so that your report is helpful.

Thanks,

jwe