Re: sparse matrix support on SuSE 10.0 (was RE: dmperm)

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: sparse matrix support on SuSE 10.0 (was RE: dmperm)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:29:45 -0500

David Bateman wrote:
Eike Friedrich wrote:
What version of UFSparse are you using, as it seems that certain types
and functions from UFSparse aren't defined (or maybe have had their name
changed)

D.
Originally I used the most up to date, UFsparse2.0, I have since tried with
UFsparse1.2, with the same result. What version would you recommend?

I haven't yet checked v2.0, though v1.2 should work. It seems to me that
there is therefore some sort of install issue for UFSparse, and the
octave configuration code is n picking up the problem in this install
for sme reason. Could you try adapting Quentin's source RPM for UFsparse
to SUSE and use that rather than your own install of UFSparse. You might
have better luck with this...

I have upgraded ufsparse to 2.0 in Fedora because it appears to be working the same as 1.2 without any problems. The SRPM David is referring to can be found at http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/development/SRPMS/ufsparse-2.0.0-1.fc6.src.rpm. Note that the makefiles that come with ufsparse are pretty basic. They don't build shared libraries, for example. For this reason, the spec file is a lot more complex than a typical "configure; make install" build. I don't see anything Fedora-specific about the spec file, so I would imagine it would build fine on SuSE. If it does build, it would probably be helpful if someone could put RPMs on the web somewhere and maybe a link from the octave wiki to them.

Quentin