Matlab AVI files

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Matlab AVI files
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 18:49:10 -0500

I hope this is relevant to this mailing list.

You probably are aware that Matlab can generate movies, by default
uncompressed in .avi format. I've had a very difficult time seeing in
Debian files of this kind that someone sent me. Not even packages of
dubious legality like mplayer, xine, or vlc could display them
properly. Asking around, someone finally pointed me to Xanim, a
dinosaur of a movie player that is very difficult to compile in modern
systems, but that at least plays Matlab avis correctly.

Since Xanim is relatively obscure and hard to compile on modern
machines, I offer  an .rpm package for anyone who has ever been in my
position of attempting to play Matlab avis but couldn't do so. A
friend helpfully compiled for me the .rpm for for the i386
architecture. It can be aliened to .deb for apt-based distros:

    http://platinum.linux.pl/~jordi/xanim/xanim-2.80.1-16.i386.rpm

Better yet, if someone could tell me how to convert .avi into a free
format, that would be great. Can't wait for Octave to be able to
generate similar movies (in Ogg Theora format or similar, of course!)
with relative ease.

Cheers,
- Jordi G. H.