Re: Various warn_ variables appear to have gone away

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Various warn_ variables appear to have gone away
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:13:34 -0600

On 8/7/06, Orion Poplawski <address@hidden> wrote:
It looks like warn_empyt_list_elements and warn_fortran_indexing (and
perhaps others) disappeared from octave 2.9.X recently.  I can't find
any mention on the lists.  Is this intentional?  I don't know much about
the issues, but I package plplot for Fedora Extras and it uses these
variables.

This is in NEWS file. Perhaps there should be a prominent link on the
www.octave.org front page:

<<<<

** Previous versions of Octave had a number of built-in variables to
   control warnings (for example, warn_divide_by_zero).  These
   variables have been replaced by warning identifiers that are used
   with the warning function to control the state of warnings.

   For example, instead of writing

     warn_divide_by_zero = false;

   to disable divide-by-zero warnings, you should write

     warning ("off", "Octave:divide-by-zero");

   You may use the same technique in your own code to control
   warnings.  For example, you can use

     warning ("My-package:phase-of-the-moon",
              "the phase of the moon could cause trouble today");

--
Orion Poplawski

Regards,

Dmitri.