Re: Installation problems

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Installation problems
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 19:08:17 -0400

Hi Frank,
It happened that I also installed octave on a SUSE box today. I have had the same problem as you. But it is not distribution specific since it happens on Fedora too (https://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/attachments/20060711/a497fe96/attachment-0001.html).

The luinc function crashes if UMFPACK is not installed. I don't use sparse matrices so I ignored this problem. Besides this problem, octave actually works fine. If you need UMFPACK you can get it here: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/umfpack.

As far as I know, lapack and blas aren't required either since octave source package comes with the lapack and blas sources (which are used if no blas and lapack libraries are already installed on the system).

However, I had no luck with the optional ATLAS libraries (a specialized tuned version of the blas + lapack libraries).

Alex

frank wang wrote:
Thanks for the help.
I am using SUSE 10.1. I just downloaded the octave packages and try to build it. I think that I do not have lapack/blas/ufsparse, etc. package installed. Could you tell me what packages I need to install? I want to install Octave in the best way so I can port my matlab code to octave. Thanks Frank

On 8/4/06, *Dmitri A. Sergatskov* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 8/4/06, frank wang <address@hidden
    <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the help on the gfortran and configure can find it now.

    You are posting to the wrong mailing list. help-octave (General
    discussion about using and installing Octave) would be more
    appropriate.

    > However, I still have problems with installation. The configure
    cannot find
    > readline package, even though I have installed it and the rpm -q
    readline
    > said it is readline-5.1-22 . The same thing happens for ncurses,
    termcap that
    > configure cannot find them even though they are installed. Can
    someone help
    > me to figure this out?

    You need to install development libraries. Those usually have names
    like readline-devel
    and so on.

    > Also, I used --disable-readline and configure worked. After the
    make command
    > successfully build the package, I typed make check. Then I got:
    >
    > src/DLD_FUNCTIONS/luinc.cc.........................panic:
    > Segmentation falut.

    This may happen if your lapack/blas/ufsparse libraries were compiled
    by a different
    gcc compiler than the one used to compile octave.
    Then there are 10000 other possibilities, but we could not tell
    since you
    did not provide any details.

    > Thanks
    >

    > Frank

    Regards,

    Dmitri.

 Alexander Barth

 Ocean Circulation Group
 University of South Florida
 College of Marine Science
140 Seventh Avenue South St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
 USA

 Phone: +1-727-553-3508     FAX:   +1-727-553-1189