Re: Questions about Octave

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Questions about Octave
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 00:42:40 -0500

George Wong wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to the Octave software and have the following questions.
> 1) Does the software have built-in math libraries, and support
> symbolic expressions?

It has support for several math libraries, including BLAS, ATLAS, FFTW,
UFSPARSE. If you install a precompiled version, the support is
automatically enabled in most distributions. Symbolic math is supported
in octave-forge (see octave.sourceforge.net) using the GiNaC library. I
haven't used it much I so I can't say how good it is.

> 2) Does the software have libraries for a particular industry, such as
> hydraulics and power systems?

Octave forge includes some signal and image processing functions, but I
don't know whether there is anything specific to hydraulics or power
systems.

> 3) Does the software support block diagrams?

I'm guessing you're asking whether there is an equivalent of Matlab's
Simulink, and the answer is no.

Quentin