Re: Known segmentation fault with new build

From: Alexander Barth
Subject: Re: Known segmentation fault with new build
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:26:41 -0400

It seems that you have the experimental libstdc++.so.7 installed. Perhaps some part of the octave use the (stable) libstdc++.so.6.0.8 and some use the experimental library. You can try to remove the experimental library with:

rpm -e libstdc++so7

and recompile octave. Since you are new to Linux, you find it probably easier to install the pre-compiled octave package included in Fedora extras:

yum install octave

Fedora includes currently octave version 2.9.5.

Alex

Bob Fletcher wrote:
Sirs:

I am trying to learn both Linux and Octave and experienced a problem
building Octave-2.9.6.

I am using Fedora Core 5 with gcc ver 4.1.1. The program compiled but
exited with a segmentation fault on the third test of 'make check'.
Your README.Linux file said this probably indicates incompatible
versions of libc, libstdc++ or the dynamic loader ld.so.

Running 'ldconfig -v' gives the following applicable entries:
        /lib:
                ld-linux.so.2 -> ld-2.4.so
                libc.so.6 -> libc-2.4.so

        /usr/lib:
                libstdc++-20060428.so.7 -> libstdc++-20060428.so.7.0.0
                libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.8

Presumably ld-linux.so is the same as your ld.so in README.Linux.
I am suspicious of the libstdc++ entries, since their mod date is only
one day apart, but I really have no idea what this means.

My currently installed applicable packages are:
        gcc-4.1.1-1.fc5.i386.rpm
        gcc-c++-4.1.1-1.fc5.i386.rpm
        libstdc++-4.1.1-1.fc5.i386.rpm.
and apparently this is the latest libstdc++ package available.

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed at length
somewhere, but I can't find it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob